Sefalana Cash and Carry Namibia (Proprietary) Limited (“Metro”)
Seven years ago, in December 2013, Sefalana embarked on its Regional expansion journey and took the bold step of opening our first store outside of our borders in Katima Mulilo, Namibia. Within a year, we took over Metro, one of the largest FMCG chains in Namibia with 12 stores spread across the country. This enabled us to carve our footprint deep into Namibian soil and make a name for ourselves in the local market.
Led by a well experienced team and a large staff compliment, our Namibian business has achieved tremendous success over the years, which include:
- Remarkable support and growth of our customer base which has allowed the Metro brand to be a brand of choice in Namibia, encouraging store growth and expansion into new areas of the country.
- Providing employment to 700 Namibian nationals, an increase of over 250 employees from inception. We look towards adding on to our staff compliment through additional store openings
- Various store revamps including improved signage, providing a new look and feel for our customers
- Improved bottom line which has increased five-fold over the last seven years, making Metro the single largest contributor to Group profits for the year.
- Roll out of the Arch data management system to all stores which has enabled operational optimisation and an enhanced performance in all stores.
We are pleased to have created a name for ourselves in new localities across Namibia, serving more customers closer to their homes. We are also proud to have achieved our medium term target of operating 20 stores across the country.